We Don’t Deserve Safety, Prosperity or Greatness

A powerful quote regarding abortion from Tony Woodlief in World Magazine:

But I’ve come to believe that a nation that tolerates destruction of innocents deserves neither safety nor prosperity nor greatness. We’ve descended into barbarism, and it poisons how we treat the elderly, the incapacitated, even ourselves. We shouldn’t be surprised, having made life a utilitarian calculation, that more and more humans become inconvenient.

John Piper recently stated that God will not judge us for abortion, abortion is the judgment. The judgment for sin is more sin and the increasing inability to distinguish between good and evil. America’s collective conscience has been seared to the point that “abortion fatigue” has set in and many seem unfazed by its the utter horror of abortion. As a result, we have elected a man who would not support legislation to require doctors to provide medical care to infants who survive abortion.

And we have the audacity to call this “hope.”

Yes, we certainly do not deserve safety, prosperity or greatness if we care more about cheap healthcare for those of us who are alive than for those who need it most.

9 replies
  1. Becky
    Becky says:

Great post, Michael. I appreciate what you have to say-of course, I agree with most anything you have to say so that doesn’t hurt anything either!

2. Joshua Duncan
    Joshua Duncan says:

Good post, Michael. I find the whole idea of ‘desert’ (not the sweet stuff at the end of a mean, but the notion that we deserve things) a slippery concept anyway. Typically, if we have had something for a while people think they deserve it. When it is taken away, they get up in arms and call God evil. Determining what we actually deserve is extraordinarily difficult unless it is revealed to us, a la Romans 3:23.

3. Michael Clary
    Michael Clary says:

Josh

Thanks for the comments. I couldn’t agree more. I think it is a principle of life that blessings always become necessities over time and when they’re removed God gets blamed.

4. Ryan
    Ryan says:

A few questions.

1. Who are “we?”( the United States, believers in the United states, believers all over the world or something else?

2. Would “we” deserve safety, prosperity, or greatness if we rejected abortion?

3. Isn’t it possible for some to reject abortion while others accept it?

Peace.

5. Michael Clary
    Michael Clary says:

Ryan:

1. “We” are all Americans.
    2. No, we would not deserve safety, prosperity and greatness if we rejected abortion. But the collective rejection of abortion would help create a society that is safer, more prosperous, and greater.
    3. Yes. But the problem is that few people even seem to care any longer. The Nazi regime is a totally legitimate and fair comparison. Imagine how many people got “Jew fatigue” during the Holocaust.

This is not a political issue alongside better schools and roads or health care. The abortion issue is a linchpin for a number of other issues and a gauge of our conscience as a society. Have we no sense of horror? Have we lost our outrage? Sure, poverty is an unbelievably difficult problem, but it is in another universe of significance compared to abortion.

Throughout the Scriptures, children have been a sign of God’s blessing. But from Pharaoh in Moses’ day, to Herod in Jesus’ day, to modern America, Satan has been trying to reverse God’s blessing.

A political candidate could agree with me on every single issue, down to the nitty gritty details, but if he supports abortion I could never support him.

6. Ryan
    Ryan says:

Thanks for the explanation. I guess you are coming from a more practical standpoint about the consequences of sin (ie. you steal you might get shot) where I was reading it from more of a spiritual point of view ( i.e. a televangelist’s claim that God brought Katrina to New Orleans because it is sinful).

I now agree with not being willing to vote for a “pro-choice” candidate, though I voted for Kerry in 2004. It was a vote I’ll say I didn’t cast with a clear conscience, though I also couldn’t vote for Bush with a clear conscience either. Now I can’t vote at all with a clear conscience. I think that a vote for a “pro-choice” candidate truly does bother most Christians, but those of us who choose to or have chosen to vote Democrat have done or do so in a way that minimizes the gravity of abortion (yea, it’s wrong but so is…) and it’s consequences (at least in our minds). I think some of it has to do with the fact that our political system is set up as an answer to an either-or question, so we overlook the problem or lie to ourselves. Our choices seem to be to overlook serious problems such as voting for candidates who will most likely only make abortion worse (as in the case of Democrats) or those who justify murder and torture (as in the case of Republicans) . Admittedly, at times I have found myself happy that Obama has been elected but I have been reminded to be sober minded and remember people will die (in this case babies) because of his presidency, which can only cause me to pray for the government and the governed.

I agree with you that “abortion fatigue” is a huge problem, but I think that much of the problem lies in the fact that it is packaged in a political way. It’s often veiled in political language and placed alongside an agenda that people perceive as being war mongering, torturous, gun-toting, bullying, racist, classist, homophobic etc. If people agree with Democrats on most issues but abortion, it is easy for some people who are so far removed from the horrors of abortion to brush it aside. Votes have real life consequences no doubt, but if we as believers lived lives that were truly Christ-like and sacrificial toward those who are considering abortions, or if we loved those who have had abortions, maybe we could bring about the Kingdom of God and redemption rather than condemnation. There is room for people to do both, vote “pro-life” and also love in a Kingdom of God way, but I think we often are lazy and point the finger at the political process rather than loving people in a tangible way…myself included.

7. Michael Clary
    Michael Clary says:

Ryan

Amen, brother. Earlier this year, I saw a video on You Tube of aborted fetuses. I am not one who cries very often, and certainly not sobbing. But I wept watching that like I haven’t wept in years. I repented of my complacency regarding abortion, because I had become fatigued with the issue. I just wanted to move on; I was so tired of getting worked up about it.

Essentially, that video made me see the horrors of it with my own eyes. At that moment, the abortion issue became the single most important issue to me politically. It is a cancer on our society.

Thanks for commenting; good conversation always, my brother!

8. Ryan
    Ryan says:

Very understandable. It’s truly heartbreaking. I guess the thing is, how do we take it from an emotional experience to actually making a difference? I don’t know.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!